Thursday, October 21, 2010

Talk tonight at the Studio Gallery....Go Giants!



I'm slated to give a talk tonight at 7 pm at the Studio Gallery in San Francisco during a heck of a pennant series. I expect I'll be hearing the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd from the corner bar down the street from the gallery, and hopefully there will be a few others in the gallery besides me to hear it as well. ;-)

I recall my first solo show at the gallery last year opened right around, if not on, the income tax filing deadline. We were a bit concerned over the prospect of having an exhibit in a month where folks may have just written 2 big checks to the government, but things worked out fine. May tonight have such a rosy outcome.

For those that won't be attending my talk because they want to watch a penultimate game, (and you know who you are) all is forgiven! But If you happen to be in the corner bar watching the game, feel free to run down the street to the gallery during the commercials, for brief tidbits of art wisdom between innings.

Hey, some of my best artist friends are major Giants fans.. A love of sports and art are not mutually exclusive, he opined, deftly sequeing into his closing remarks. For those that want to read a hilarious article on the potentially vast gulf between die hard sports fans and sensitive 'arty' types, I point you to George Plimpton's Marianne Moore in Yankee Stadium in his wonderful book George Plimpton on Sports.
Go Giants!

4 comments:

Isaac Orloff Illustration said...

what a game last night! hopefully they stick it to the phils again tonight. lovely post by the way!

Ken Januski said...

Of course you have to be careful of those ex-San Franciscans, current Philadelphians, that occasionally read this blog!

A good series either way.

Anonymous said...

i was just linked here and i think you are amazing, sir.

pamela Walker said...

I loved looking at your work, Bill. Thanks so very much. Pamela Gaye Walker